Castles


ARMADALE CASTLE
The Clan Donald Center is located on the isle of Skye.

Bardowie Castle
Bardowie Castle once owned by relatives of Rob Roy MacGregor is located near Milngavie, on the outskirts of Glasgow, overlooking Bardowie Loch. It was originally built in 1566. Additions were made in the 17th and 18th centuries. The owner, motivational guru, Jack Black decided to sell his home after he was refused permission to run a software company owned by his wife from within the castle walls but has been unsuccessful in finding a buyer over the last year (2002-03).

Blair Castle

Built by John Comyn of Badenoch sometime around 1269.
Blair Castle stands between the Passes of Killiecrankie and Drumochter in the Strath of Garry, Atholl, controlling the central route into the Scottish Highlands. Because of its location Blair Castle has always been held in great importance.
The oldest part of the present structure is know as the “Cuming’s Tower”
The second Duke remodeled the castle after the Jacobite Rising of 1745 removing the top story, the castlellations and turrets. The seventh Duke built a new entrance, ballroom and two floors of bedrooms restoring the castle to its original height and re-castellated it.
One of Blair Atholl’s claims to fame is that it is home to the last private army in Europe, the Atholl Highlanders. The army is the sole survivor of the old custom whereby the King of Scotland had no army but relied on the local chiefs and their clansmen.

Blairquhan Castle

Blairquhan Castle is located near Maybole in South Ayrshire. It is set at the centre of a 2000 acre estate of woodlands and countryside on the site of a previous castle dating back to 1346. The present Georgian style castle was built for Sir David Hunter Blair 3rd Baronet in 1821 – 1824

Braemar Castle

A very much admired fairy tale castle still has the presence of a ghost or ghosts.

Old Mar Castle was built by the Earl of Mar in 1528 overlooking the Dee River
where castles had stood for over one thousand years.
In 1689 the castle was destroyed by fire set by John Farquharson
but it was restored the next century.

A Pickish King had build a fortress on this site
Angus V had a castle here to receive the remains of St. Andrew.
Kenneth 111 lived here in the tenth century
Malcolm 111 often described as the first real King lived here.

BRODIE CASTLE

Brodie Castle is situated north of the Muckle Water between Nairn and Forres.
It was the seat of the ancient family of Brodie since the 11 century.
In 1786 Lady Margaret died in a fire at the castle.

1889 Brodie of Brodie suffered a heart attack and died while in Switzerland.
The tenants at Brodie Castle reported someone in the Master’s study. Although the door was securely locked moaning noises and papers being shuffled could be heard by those standing outside the door. The next morning news of Mr. Brodies death reached the tenants. It was the one and only visit made by the ghost.

Brodick Castle which started with a 13th century fortification was finished with the Victorian wing being built in the 1860’s.

CHIEF NINIAN BRODIE DIES
The 25th Chief, Ninian Brodie, of Clan Brodie died this week(March 2003-03-10) in a nursing home at the age of 90. The family were appointed Thane of Brodie by King Malcolm IV in 1160
He had remained in apartments in the 15th century castle after he sold the castle in 1978 to the National Trust of Scotland.
His children launched a legal battle in 2002 to win back the castle, declaring that the castle had been sold in breach of trust and under priced. However, the judge hearing the case said she had no difficulty in concluding that there were no legal grounds to set aside the sale

BRODIE CASTLE

A charter signed in 1311 by Robert the Bruce tells us the family comes from Morayshire where they held the barony of Brothie.Most of the documentation on the family was lost when Brodie Castle was burnt down. The fire was set by Lord Lewis Gordon.

Brodick Castle

Brodick Castle which started with a 13th century fortification and finished with the
Victorian wing built in the 1860’s.
The Duke of Hamilton married Princess Marie of Baden
daughter of Napoleon’s adopted daughter Stephanie de Baurnhois.
They had three children.
In 1863 when the eleventh Duke died she left the palace.
The Brodick Ghosts
A man in a green coat and light colored breeches has been seen sitting reading in the library.
It is said a white deer appeared on three occasions when the head of the family died.
The palace is also said to be haunted by a lady dressed in a gray dress with a white collar.
The housekeeper at the time was a medium that was gifted in controlled handwriting was told through that handwriting that the ‘gray lady’ had been in the house at the time Cromwell’s garrison was stationed there. She conceived a child by one of Cromwell’s officers and was dismissed from service. It is said she took her own life at the Quay below the castle.
Located on the Isle of Aarran, in the Fifth of Clyde, overlooking Brodick Bay it was the home to the Dukes of Hamilton for almost 600 years.
It was then occupied by the Duke of Montrose. At the death of the Duchess of Montrose in 1958 the castle and its chattels were given in lieu of estate duties to the Commissioners of Inland Revenue. Following that the National Trust for Scotland accepted future responsibility.

BORTHWICK CASTLE, GOREBRIDGE, LOTHIANS

Borthwick Castle, a twin-towered baronial keep, was built on the site of an earlier fortification in 1430 by the first Lord Borthwick.
While Mary Queen of Scots was at Barthwick Castle after her marriage to her third husband the Earl of Bothwell, 1000 men intent on killing Bothwell, turned up. Mary negotiated with them allowing time for Bothwell to slip away. She then escaped, disguised as a page boy, escaped the following morning.
In the 17th century, during the Civil War, Cromwell besieged the castle which surrendered after only a few cannon shots had been fired. Damage done to the parapet stonework from one cannon shot can still be seen.
It has been described as one of the most impressive castles in Scotland and is now a first class hotel.

BRUS (BRIX) CASTLE

This castle built in the 11th century was situated near Cherbourg. The castle was built by Adam de Brus and a relative named Robert.

CAERLAVEROCK CASTLE

One of the finest medieval ruins in Scotland
LOCATED IN DUMFRIESSHIRE THIS CASTLE IS TRIANGULAR IN PLAN, AND MOATED, CAERLAVEROCK CASTLE BUILT IN THE 1290’S WAS REBUILT IN THE 25TH CENTURY FOLLOWING THE BORDER WARS.

CALGARY CASTLE

Calgary Castle was built by Captain Alan MacAskill. It sits near the deserted village of Inivea, a village that was part of the Highland Clearances. The estate is known for its beautiful gardens aided by the warm streams flowing by. Many tropical plants, imported from Chili can be found there
The original part of the Castle was added to in the 18th Century. The main floor has large rooms with 10 foot high ceilings. Calgary Castle has now been turned into a hotel and can be rented out to groups.
The name Calgary comes from the Gaelic meaning “Meadow beside the Bay”

CARBISDALE CASTLE, SUTHERLAND

Carbisdale Castle was built in 1910-1911. It was constructed on the site of Culrain Lodge. The Marquis of Montrose defeated the Coveananters not far from the castle. It is reputed to have more than one ghost!

CASTLE PARK, MORAYSHIRE

Built on land granted to a Norman knight in the 13th century, the original castle was owned by the Gordon family. During the 18th and 19th Centuries the castle was transformed from a baron’s fortress into an elegant country home. There is a mysterious Green Lady of Park whose ghostly appearance has been reported on many occasions.

CAWDOR CASTLE

The Cawdor Toast is ‘Flourish the Thorn!’
The castle is located approximately 12 miles east of Inverness in the eastern part of the Highlands, set in wooded grounds. The present buildings date back from the early 14th century. Around 1455 after the castle had been forfeited by the Earl of Moray, the Scottish Privy Council instructed the Thane of Cawdor to dismantle Lochindorb Castle. An iron yett was taken from Lochindorb Castle at that time and brought to Cawdor Castle where it can now be seen.

If you are daring, take the narrow stairwell down into the bowels of the Castle to the Dungeon. There you will find an ancient tree. The story goes this one day the Thane of Cawdor set a donkey weighed down with gold to roam the countryside. He said wherever the donkey decided to rest for the night would become the site of his castle. The donkey lay down by a tree and the castle was built around it. For many years the tree was thought to be a hawthorn, but it is in fact a holly tree which died in about 1372.

One can visit the restaurant and bookshops located to the left as you pass through the portcullis or take a tour of the castle itself. The tour begins with a visit to the drawing room and the minstrel’s gallery located to the left as you pass through the portcullis. From there go up the stairs to the many bedrooms such as the tapestry bedroom, the yellow room, and the many other bedrooms overlooking the stream. From there make your way into the old tower room. It was only discovered in 1976 during building work on the room above and has now been partially opened up for viewing.

This room, the old tower room, incorporates a hidden trapdoor used to take any unwelcome visitor straight down a chute carved within the thickness of the castle wall and into a dungeon which has no other means of entry or exit.

COMLONGON CASTLE, DUMFRIESSHIRE

In the 14th century Thomas Randolph, the Earl of Moray, gave this land to his nephew, Sir William Murray. In the 15th century a massive tower was added with spiral stone staircase, painted ceilings, dungeons and a well in the basement. The entrance still has its original iron gate.
Guests can take a candlelit tour of the medieval keep and Great Hall. And if they are lucky they may even see the ghost, said to be the spirit of Marion Carruthers who committed suicide after being forced to marry a man she did not love.

Cameron House

Cameron House is situated on the shores of Loch Lomond on route to the Scottish Highlands
In 1763 John Smollett bought the Cameron estate
Loch Lomond freezes over every fifty years or so. It is said that when the loch freezes over completely, the head of the household dies.
There is a room in the House in which objects that do not exist appear and things that cannot be explained have occurred.
A young boy told his mother he had seen a doll house in that room. Several months later the boy received a gift; that exact same doll house. The old family mansion, Bonhill, was torn down in 1950. It was a medieval and mysterious old place with a secret passage that had a hidden entrance behind a fireplace and connected with an escape route that exited on the Leven River. As one would imagine the dank, dark tunnel was infested with rats. One day some time in the 1780’s a piper was sent into the tunnel to frighten away the rats and was never seen again. However, for many years, in the stillness of the night the sound of the pipes could be heard through the walls.

Craigievar Castle

Is set in Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Construction began in the sixteenth century by the Mortimers and was completed in 1626 for Laird Danzig Willie Forbes. Built out of red granite, it stands tall and thin, a fairy land castle, in its artistic Scottish Baronial style.
Family members were witness to the unexplainable trampling and banging manifested all over the building when the unseen occupants of the castle were annoyed or disturbed.
The castle was bought from the Forbes-Sempill family by a consortium of benefactors in 1963 and presented to the National Trust for Scotland.

Crichton Castle

Crichton Castle is located in a wild moor land at the end of a narrow track, off a minor road in Midlothian, not far from Edinburgh in Scotland.
The Crichtons were close to the monarchs in the 15th century but eventually fell from grace. The property was taken over by the powerful Bothwells.
Mary Queen of Scots who lost her throne as a result of marrying the 4th Earl of Bothwell had attended the wedding of her half-brother in the castle.
Crichton Castle in the 14th century consisted of a tower house but over the centuries expanded and now has some unique features. The 5th Earl of Bothwell was responsible for the arcade of diamond-faceted stonework that now adorns the castle.

CULZEAN CASTLE

Culzean Castle is the ancestral home of the Kennedy Clan in Ayrshire. Robert Adam transformed it into one of the most beautiful houses in Scotland (1777- 1792)

Dalmeny House

Dalry Manor House

Dean Castle

The keep of Dean Castle was built in the mid fourteenth century of sandstone with a thatched roof. The main part of the palace was built in 1460 From the castle, nothing can be seen of the town of Kilmarnock which stretches out on both sides of it.For 450 years Dean Castle was the stronghold of the Boyd family. William, fourth Earl of Kilmarnock, was the last of the Boyd’s to live in Dean Castle.
The nain part of the castle was almost totally destroyed by fire in 1735. Although William, Fourth Earl of Kilmarnock, still had another building, Kilmarnock House, on the estate he continued to use some of the undamaged rooms of the castle.
The Earl, out walking one day in the garden, was startled by several loud screams. He immediately returned to the house. He and his wife made an inspection of the house. They found a maid in a state of shock in an upper room. She told the Earl and his wife.
She had been sitting mending linen when the door opened and a bloody head entered the room and rolled on the floor. She screamed and the apparition disappeared only to reappear a moment later. the third time it appeared she fainted. The Earl and his wife thought it ridiculous. Nothing more was thought of it until one evening when Lord Kilmarnock was discussing apparitions with the Earl of Galloway. But when Lord Galloway was told that Kilmarnock had gone to fight in the Rebellion he said, “I’ll lay a wager that Kilmarnock will lose his head.”
On August 18, 1746, Lords Kilmarnock and Balmerino were beheaded on Tower Hill in London. Before his death Lord Kilmarnock insisted on special arrangements being made. Four men stood with a large cloth, ready to catch the Earl’s head, because the Earl said although he could face death he could not face the thought of his head rolling around on the scaffold floor. It is thought he was recalling the frightening apparition in his home.

Dirleton Castle

In the 13th century, Dirleton Castle was one of the grandest castles of its day, both in terms of its defensive capabilities and in its impressive grandeur. But today one would never guess it’s violent history.The beautifully kept gardens and bowling green give the castle a quiet, peaceful look.

Drumlanrig Castle

Also known as the ‘House of the Hassock’
An ancient Douglas stronghold originally founded in the fourteenth century. Its name is territorial from the words Drum, meaning hill, lang – long, ridge – rig.
The existing pale pink sandstone castle was built in 1679 – 1690
Disaster struck the family when both sons of Charles, third Duke of Queensberry died young fulfilling the prophecy of Thomas the Rhymer

The prophecy of Thomas the Rhymer:
When the Marr Burn runs where man never saw
The house of the Hassock is never a fa’.

The story goes that the wife of the third Duke diverted the course of the Marr Burn in order to build a fountain on the estate.
The castle remains as it did back then except that the Marr Burn now follows it’s natural course.

DUART CASTLE

The ancient seat of the chiefs of the Macleans, located on the east coast of the Isle of Mill was probably built by the Chief of the clan, Lauchlan Lubanach Macleans in the 1390’s. Nonetheless the thirty foot high, ten foot thick walls on the landward side probably date back to the thirteenth century.
The Macleans called the castle home for three hundred years. After the Jacobites were defeated and the Macleans were financially stressed the Campbell’s laid waste to Duart Castle.

In 1911 Coloney Fitzroy MacLean bought back the castle ruin. He restored the castle and once again made it the seat of the Chief of the Maclean clan.

DUMBARTON CASTLE

The Chiefs of the Colquhoun Clan became hereditary keepers of Dumbarton Castle.

Dunfermline Abbey and Palace

Was founded in the 11th century and is the burial place of King Robert the Bruce.
It was at one time a place of pilgrimage because of its association with Queen (Saint) Margaret who was buried there with her husband, King Malcolm III (Canmore).
Eight other kings are also buried there.
See http://www.RampantScotland.com/visit/blvisitdunfermline.htm

DUNNOTTAR CASTLE

THE RUINS OF THIS IMPRESSIVE LATE 14TH CENTURY FORTRESS STANDS ON A ROCKY CLIFF HIGH ABOVE THE SEA NEAR THE OLD FISHING PORT OF STONEHAVEN IN ABERDEENSHIRE.

Dunrobin Castle

Dunvegan Castle

Dunvegan Castle stands on a volcanic rock in the middle of Loch Dunvegan. Leod, son of Olaf the Black, was one of the last Norse rulers of the Isle of Man and the Northern Isles. His son Toromod became the chief of the principal branch of the MacLeods of Skye, ‘Siol Tormod’. HJe inherited Dunvegan Castle. It was home to the Chiefs of Clan MacLeod for over 750 years. Chief Loud, during the thirteenth century had a curtain wall built. Parts of it still exist. In the fourteenth century a a large keep was added. In the Fifteenth century a Fairy Tower was built.

THE CURSE OF THE MACLEODS

There was a prophecy about the MacLeods of Dunvegan It stated that when Norman the fourth, son of a English woman would perish by accidental death the following would happen. 1 Theat when the “Maidens” of MacLeod became the property of a Campbell; When a fox had young ones in one of the castle turrets; when the fairy-enchanted banner should be for the last time exhibited, then the glory of the MacLeod’s family shall depart – a great part of the estate should be sold to others; so that a small boat would carry all the gentlemen of the name MacLeod across Loch Dunvegan; in the distant future a chief named Iain Breac (Speckled John) would arise. He would buy back the estates and raiser the power and honor of the house to a higher place than ever before.

All that the prophecy alluded to was fulfilled.

Gift of Skye Mountain Range to Public (www.RampantScotland.com)
John MacLeod of MacLeod, the 29th chief of the Clan Macleod, announced three years ago that he was going to sell for £10 million the clan lands covering the Cuillin mountain range on Skye. The announcement was greeted with howls of protest, even though he said that public access would continue and that the cash (40% of which would go to the government in tax) was needed to repair and develop 800-year-old Dunvegan Castle. The land includes not only the famous mountains but 14 miles of coastline and two salmon rivers. But in the last three years there has not been an acceptable offer. So although John MacLeod was initially scathing about national conservation bodies becoming involved, it is understood that he is now negotiating to hand over the Cuillins and the castle to a community and conservation organization. In return, he and his family would continue to live at the clan home of Dunvegan. But repairs and maintenance would be financed through a charitable trust – which would have access to such sources of funding as the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Edinburgh Castle

A wonderful adventure back into Scotland’s past.
Edinburgh Castle is situated on a rocky pinnacle overlooking the city of Edinburgh. This splendid fortress has been the setting for many important historical events in Scottish history. The Castle is the best known landmark in Edinburgh and the former home of the Kings and Queens of Scotland. One of the city’s many attractive gardens lies at the foot of Castle Rock.
The castle has 1.3 million visitors each year and the Union Jack flag is a prominent feature in the centre of the capital.
Soldiers on duty in the castle were unable to raise and lower the flag each day during May-June 2003 because of repair work being done to the battlements.
A Spokesperson for Historic Scotland, said that the work will not be finished until at least June 15th. This has caused concerns that the work will not be completed before “Royal Tourism” day in late June when a member of the royal family will be pay a visit to Edinburgh.

The view from the castle is breathtaking but not nearly as breathtaking as the inside of the castle. Scotland’s heritage is packed into the ancient halls and chambers in all manner of relics and dramatic stories.

The real treasures though are Scotland’s Honors;
the Crown, Sword and Scepter of the country and the
Stone of Destiny upon which all of Scotland’s Kings and Queen’s were crowned.

1312 William Baxtare was listed as crossbowman at Edinburgh Castle.

In 1440 William, the 6th Earl, and his young brother were slain on the orders of Sir William Crichton at Edinburgh Castle when they were invited for supper. The supper became known as ‘The Black Dinner’

Eilean Donan Castle

Fasque

FERNIE CASTLE HOTEL

The ancient castle of Fernie, dating from the 14th century, now offers accommodation set in the character of the past. It contains twenty bedrooms, all individually designed.

Floors Castle

Floors Castle is the seat of the Duke of Roxburghe, head of the Innis Ker family.
Today Floors is home to the tenth Duke and Duchess of Roxburghe

FYVIE CASTLE

Lilias Drummond, know also as the Green Lady, is said to haunt Fyvie Castle. According to legend, she inscribed her name in the bedchamber of Fyvie Castle when her husband remarried shortly after her death.

GARTH CASTLE

Mariota Stewart, murdered by her husband, is said to haunt Garth Castle.

GLAMIS CASTLE

Pink stoned Clamis Castle is the home of the Earls of Strathmore and has been a royal residence since 1372. It was Queen Elizabeth’s childhood home. (Queen Mom) and Princess Margaret was born there. Glamis Castle is considered to be the oldest continually inhabited castle in Scotland. It sits beside Dean Water resembling the Chateau of Loire.
The historic village of Glamis lies six miles west of Forfar one mile from the Castle.
Glamis Castle is often considered to be one of the most haunted homes in all of Scotland. A page boy has been seen for centuries outside guest bedrooms.
McBeth, (the King of Scotland) this story of ambition and evil is said to have been set mainly at Glamis Castle. If it is true or not we do not know however, the the room in the central tower where Duncan is said to have been killed certainly has a very strange feeling it is said. legends revolving around this secret room, considered to be the home to a supernatural inhabitant. If one were to stand outside on the grounds and count the windows they will always find one more on the external building than on the inside of the castle.
The most popular story is about the so called “Beast of Glamis” It is said the he is the rightful Earl. Described as a hideously deformed , huge, misshapen toad of a creature or a one eyed cyclops, he was born in the 18th century. The family were so ashamed they had the concealed room built for him. He was considerably strong and lived for over 200 years. His existence was kept hidden and revealed only to each new heir to the title as they came of age. A less gruesome tale is that the hidden room contains a group of gamblers. The leaser bring Alexander, Earl of Crawford. Alexander was so wicked he was nicknamed “Earl Beardie. It is said that when was playing cards with his cronies and was loosing badly when one of his companions suggested he stop playing.At this the Earl went into a rage and swore to the devil that he would play on until Judgment Day. When this was said the horned one appeared at the table and joined in the game. There he will remain gambling with the wicked earl until the end of time.

In 1376 Sir John Lyon of Foreviot (Thane of Glamis 1372) married Princess Joanna daughter of King Robert 11.
His son, John married Elizabeth Graham, granddaughter of Robert 11 When James V became King his hatred for the Douglas family was in part responsible for the death of the then Lady Glamis (who was a Douglas). She was accused of witchcraft and burnt on the Castle Hill at Edinburgh.
Later on the family name became Bowes Lyons when the 9th Earl married Mary Eleanor Bowes.The youngest daughter of the fourteenth Earl and Countess Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon Married the Duke of York (King George V1), Second son of King George V
Glalim Castle is said to be built in the center of a Fairy Ring. A hidden secret room is reported to be within its walls. Haunting’s , apparitions, and strange noises are often reported in the lowest part of the central tower.

Home town House

INVERNESS CASTLE

Shaw MacDuff, son of the 3rd Earl of Fife was appointed Constable of Inverness Castle in 1163.

Kelburn Castle

Since the twelfth century Kelburn castle has been owned by the Boyle family. The Welsh branch of the family went to Ireland. They are the ancestors of the Earls of Cork and Shannon.

Kellie Castle

Kellie Castle is a beautiful building looking more like a family home than a castle. At present a walled garden is being replanted to become a appealing Scottish Kitchen garden. (2003)
Records of the castle date back as far as 1150. However, the present building dates back to the 16th century.

Lauriston Castle

Liberton House

A Fountain Fit for a King

Britain’s oldest surviving fountain, King’s Fountain, has undergone a four-year restoration. It was moved to near Maidenhead in Berkshire where the “restoration” work done in the 1930’s using concrete was removed. And it is now back in its rightful place in the main courtyard of Linlithgow Palace.
The fountain commissioned by King James V in the late 1530s, was designed to resemble a crown, with a large number of symbolic figures ranged around it. The ornately carved fountain was created to impress visiting monarchs and dignitaries with the opulence of King James’ court.
The fountain escaped damage in 1607 when the North Range of the Palace collapsed. Nonetheless it needed some revamp in 1633 to allow it to operate for a visit by King Charles I. When the palace burnt down in 1746, the fountain also suffered, perhaps because it was seen as a symbol of the Stewart monarchy.
During the current renovations as much of the original stonework as possible was retained and new high-quality stone carvings were made to replace those which were no longer viable. The result is a bit of a mix of old and new, but in time the new stone will mellow and blend in. (2005)

Manderston

The original house is thought to have been built in 1790. William Miller bought the estate in 1864. His son, Sir James, the second Baronet, completed the rebuilding of the house.

Mellerstain

Pitcaple Castle

Richton Castle, Midlothian

Although it is not far from Edinburgh, Crichton Castle is not easy to reach – it’s set in a wild moorland at the end of a narrow track, off a minor road. It began as a great 14th century tower house but over the centuries expanded and incorporates some unique features. The Crichtons were close to the monarchs in the 15th century but eventually fell from grace and the property was taken over by the powerful Bothwells. Mary Queen of Scots attended the wedding of her half-brother in the castle. But Mary later lost her throne as a result of marrying the 4th Earl of Bothwell. Crichton Castle was extended and embellished by the 5thn Earl of Bothwell who was responsible for the arcade of diamond-faceted stonework. For more on this historic castle, see:
http://www.RampantScotland.com/visit/blvisitcrichton.htm

Rosslyn Castle

(www.RampantScotland.com)

Perhaps the dispute between the owner of historic Rosslyn Castle and residents in the nearby village has surfaced because the 7th Earl of Rosslyn is also the police officer who was in overall charge of security at Windsor Castle where a gatecrasher successfully broke into the 21st birthday party of Prince William. But Commander Peter Loughborough is being criticized for receiving £365,000 from Historic Scotland, to assist in the refurbishment of the castle and now rents it out at £1,500 a week – and bans the general public from the grounds unless they make a special appointment. Local villagers argue that unrestricted access would increase visitor numbers (though there are only 35,000 a year to nearby Rosslyn Chapel – a far more attractive and interesting building). The locals claim that there used to be unrestricted access, but that stopped – after public money had been provided to make it attractive to tenants renting the property from the Landmark Trust.

ROXBURGH CASTLE

Sir James Douglas 1286-1330 was instrumental in capturing Roxburgh Castle in 1314

Threave Castle

Threave Castle, in Dumfries and Galloway, is on an isolated island in the river Dee.

Urquhart Castle

Less than a year after the controversial completion of a new visitor centre at Urquhart Castle, the visitor attraction has been awarded “Five Stars” by Visit Scotland tourism agency. The ruined castle overlooking Loch Ness dates back to at least the 13th century.
Over the centuries, the castle has been the scene of many sieges and has changed hands on many occasions.
But the main A82 road passes by and as the popularity of the castle grew, the visitor car park often overflowed in the summer, resulting in cars being parked on the verge. Plans by Historic Scotland to improve the facilities and create a larger visitor centre with historic interpretation services, were fought by locals.

Scone Palace

Scon Castle overlooks the “Fair City” Perth. It was for a thousand years the site of the Dundee’s monastery, a priory and abbey of Augustinian Canons.
In 1559 the Abby of Scon and the Bishop’s house were ransacked and burnt down by a group of rioters who were angered by John Knox’s sermon in Perth.
The palace built in 1581 was remodeled in 1802 – 04 by architect William Atkinson.
The castle’s greatest treasures is the sacred stone of Scon. As well as being the Coronation site, and the capital of Scotland, Scon had also Scotland’s first Parliaments.
The palace is now entered by a side door in front of which lie unmarked graves of shallowly buried bodies from hundreds of years ago.

“So, thanks to all at once, and to each one, whom we invite to see us crown ‘d at Scone
” William Shakespeare, Macbeth

SKIBO CASTLE

Skibo Castle situated about five miles from Dornoch in Sutherland. It was built on the site of a former Viking stronghold by Andrew Carnegie who emigrated from Scotland and made his fortune in steel and railways in America. It enjoys superb views across Dornoch Firth to the mountains beyond.

The castle had world wide coverage when Madonna chose it for the location of her wedding in December 2000.

A small syndicate of businessmen has bought the Highland Castle and estate, home of the Carnegie Club which was founded by millionaire Peter de Savary thirteen years ago. Many stars of the entertainment business as well as industry and commerce have become members of the club The new owners say that they will take the exclusive club to “new heights”.

STIRLING CASTLE

The Stirling Smith Museum, Scotland has on display an ancient battered football which was found in the rafters of Sterling Castle. It is thought that it comes from the days of Mary Queen of Scots in the 16th century.

THREAVE CASTLE

Historic Scotland announced earlier this year that Threave Castle, near Castle Douglas in Dumfries and Galloway, was to close in September. This was to allow for work to upgrade the two jetties which are used by the small ferry boats used by custodians to transport people to the castle on an island in the middle of the river Dee. But the work has now been rescheduled and so the property will be open to visitors as usual during the month. Anyone wanting to summon the boat from the island has to ring a ship’s bell to attract the attention of the custodians. Needless to say, they don’t get a lot of visitors! When I called there one sunny, summer’s afternoon, I was told that I was the first visitor for three hours!
http://www.RampantScotland.com/visit/blvisitcrichton.htm

CASTLE TIORAM

Destruction of the castle by the clan chief in 1715 was meant to stop it falling into enemy hands.

Now, millionaire Lex Brown, wants to restore Castle Tioram in Moidart which would provide a home and a clan museum. But government agency Historic Scotland has blocked the reconstruction. Mr Brown is pursuing an action in the Court of Session.
The plans for Castle Tioram were backed by Highlands Council, the local Member of the Scottish Parliament and by many local members of the public and the Clan MacDonald Society.
The Scottish Executive have undertaken a review of Historic Scotland. It is believed the situation with regard to Castle Tioram may have triggered the assessment.

Traquair House

Wrychtishousis