Sir Hugh Allan’s House

August 4, 2009

1025 Pine Avenue West, Montreal, Quebec Hugh Allan named this mansion built in 1864, “Ravenscrag” after King James 11 castle in Fifeshire, Scotland.

Yuile House

August 4, 2009

3627 Redpath Street, Montreal, Quebec William Yuile, was a typewriter and sewing machine manufacturer in Montreal. Quebec from 1918 to 1929.

Simon McTavish

August 4, 2009

Simon McTavish had a winter house on Jean Baptist Street near the waterfront. In summer, he lived on his country estate, which stretched from the slopes of Mount Royal to Dorchester Boulevard.

The Peter Lyall Residence

August 4, 2009

1445 Bishop Street, Montreal, Quebec Built of Scottish red sandstone Peter Lyall was born in Castletown, Scotland in 1841. He and his sons were well respected for their work in the Montreal area. His talent as an engineer can be seen in the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa.

George Stephen House

August 4, 2009

1440 Drummond Street, Montreal, Que. This wonderful mansion, once the home of railroad and banking magnate George Stephen, is now a private club.

Atholstan House

August 4, 2009

1172 Sherbrooke Street, W. (corner of Stanley St.), Montreal, Que. Residence of Sir Hugh Graham, known for his work with abused women and children, the needy, and through his work with the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. He became sole owner of the “Montreal Star”

Montreal Street Names

August 4, 2009

Drummond Street Named for George Alexander Drummond. Mr. Drummond was called to the Senate and was also active in: Banking; Flour; the railway; and Redpath sugar Hutchison Street This Street is named after the Hutchison family from Aryshire, Scotland McGill College Avenue Named after James McGill the founder of McGill University. McGill Street McGill Street […]

Windsor Hotel

August 4, 2009

1110 Peel Street, Montreal, PQ Opened on November 29, 1878. Closed 1981 A number of the architects in its building were William Notman, Duncan McIntyre, and architects from the firm of Hutchison & Wood.

Harbour Board Commissions Building

August 4, 2009

357 de la Commune, Montreal, Que. Designed by A. C. Hutchison & the firm of Hopkins & Wiley in 1874-1878.

Ogilvie Flour Mills Co. Building

August 4, 2009

224 place d’Youville, Montreal, Que. This building designed by Hutchison & Steele was built in 1890 for Scottish born W.W.Ogilvie.

« Previous PageNext Page »