Halifax Citadel, Nova Scotia

August 4, 2009

Situated on a hill overlooking Halifax Harbor was built between 1828 and 1856. It was the fourth one to be built there and has lasted throughout the years because, unlike the previous ones built of wood and earth, this one was constructed of granite. The British realized at that time that they were there to stay. Consequently they built the garrison to last.

The military as well as some German prisoners of war were housed at the Citadel.
From 1749 until 1906, most of the British Infantry regiment that spent time in Halifax was billeted with the Black Watch and for a few years with the 78th Highlanders at the Fort and at Wellington Barracks. In 1906 The British turned the fortress over to the Government of Canada.

In the latter half of the 20th century plans were made to turn the Fortress into a historically correct national site. It took many years of research to put it together as it now looks today. The pipe music one hears when visiting the Citadel is the pipe music to which the Highlanders would have marched. The tartan is the very same tartan worn by the 78th Highlanders a way back then. Although the citadel is no longer an active military installation the re-enactment is so superbly carried out that visitors are not often aware of it.
An Army Museum open from May to October is housed at the Citadel. A non-profit organization offers guided tours. Visitors are asked to call for an appointment.

Comments

Want to contribute? Leave a comment!