Strathearn House – The home of William Dow

August 3, 2009

1175 Place du Frere Andre
Willaim Dow was born in Muthill, Perthshire, Scotland on March 27, 1800.
He came to Canada when he was 18 or 19 years old.
By 1834 he owned his own brewery, William Dow & Company.
He invested in the Railway, Real estate, and the Bank.
William never married. He lived alone at Strathearn House at the topof Beaver Hall Hill.
On May 12, 1907 the Engineers Club took residence there
In 1979 Mother Tucker Restaurant (Chez la Mere Tucker) occupied the residence.
1175 Place du Frere Andre
In the courtyard of this stone mansion that once belonged to William Dow stands a statue of Brother Andrew.


Want to contribute? Leave a comment!